gogoNET

IPv6 & Networking the Internet of Things

Just yesterday we were discussing internally at gogo6 why we thought Comcast was being so open with their IPv6 plans.  We've dealt with over 50 top tier operators regarding their v6 plans and never has any organization been so publicly explicit.  This article explains why: 

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/01/preparing-for-the-ipv6-transition.html

Turns out they are trying to galvanize an industry.  They depend on various "stakeholder" to support v6 so they can support v6.  More than this they will feed their experience back into the IETF to help shape the standards around the protocol.  Pretty cool.

Tags: Comcast

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hopefully a large company like Comcast will help spur other companies into doing something.
Who says this is the first test with customers?

Maybe the request is public because they can't find enough customers who want to take part in "we will break your internet, and see what happens" trials by calling them one for one. These sound like big trials.

Their site says comcast has already chosen to roll out native dual stack.

Probably they will use 6rd to roll out faster in the beginning, and DS-lite in the end when IPv4 routers aren't worth the maintainance overhead anymore.

They also say that they want to be ready for roll-out in 2011. I don't know how big ISPs work, but that seems really soon after the trials. I looks to me like this is one of the last phases before widespread, "compulsory" roll-out of IPv6. No company has released rumors of doing that before. Most IPv6 ISPs have it as an (experimental) opt-in service.

I think comcast will do more unusual things, because they will be deploying where nobody has deployed before: in the network of an unknowing end user, who has no IT department.
I for one welcome their choice to do this publicly and involve their customers who want to join voluntarily. I signed up myself!

I'd love to be a part of the process and be able to give feedback and shape how its done! I mean, I'm a Comcast subscriber, and who wouldn't want to have a say in how their service is run in the near future?

I'd rather go through some growing pains myself but be able to give feed back on it and help shape how the service is likely to be finally deployed in the end than to let them opt something silly like only allowing 1 IPv6 address just because that was the norm for IPv4 or using some incompatible method that may work with say, only Windows but not Linux/Unix or other devices.

I think this is actually really cool, and its got me looking forward to very near future.
Definitely good news from Comcast! ISP's are reluctant to move to v6 but now that a major player like Comcast made this move, competitors might follow. And if they do, we'll finally escape the ‘who goes first’ infinite loop.
Yes, the proverbial chicken and egg problem that's been the longstanding excuse for ISPs and content providers is finally showing cracks. On one side we have Comcast leading the way for ISPs in a very public manner and now more good news on the content side as explained in "Google's leading, but where do other Web giants stand on IPv6" by Carolyn Duffy of Network World:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/02/04/urnidgn...
If you area a comcast customer and you want to take part of their testing phases you can signup, or find out more information about the process here:
http://www.comcast6.net/
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually got further than the application process for comcast6?
I had one response from them telling me to stand-by and wait for further instructions, then deafening silence.
To the best of my knowledge, no, they are still teeing up things at this time.
When I called and asked their business office about this, I was told it probably would be 2011 or 2012 before it hit my area (west coast), and they'd probably start testing in the east near their head quarters... Not very encouraging...
As sucky as that is, as an east coast resident, it gives me hope ;)

But I do know, from "an insider", that Comcast are working on some seriously impressive IP infrastructure to replace the old cack they use now. As much as I dislike them based on personal experience, it does sound very promising.
I've signed up maybe once or twice when I heard about it (I believe almost the same day or day after they announced it), and I've yet to hear ANYTHING from them. I too am an East Coast customer, and would really like to participate on this. For now, my (lately flaky) HE.net tunnel at home, and freenet6 tunnel at work are just gonna have to do.

RSS

Training

IoT & IPv6 Networking Conference

Product Information

Fill out my online form.

© 2014   Created by gogo6.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service