gogoNET

IPv6 & Networking the Internet of Things

So, I like the ability to announce my prefix to my network for use, which (I'm guessing) essentially turns my gogoCLIENT into a router.

I'm also going to assume this uses stateless autoconfiguration to configure clients to use this service.

Lets say I want to use the gogoCLIENT as a router, but I want to use stateFUL autoconfiguration, with something like Windows Server 2008 R2's DHCPv6 features. Could I do something like that? Essentially disable the routing advertisements feature of the gogoCLIENT but still let it accept connections from clients and route them to the internet appropriately? I thought about just setting the "advertise on interface:" setting to my loopback so that advertisements don't make it to the client but I haven't tested to see if statefully or manually configured clients will still work

Also I'd need the address block to remain the same, so that it doesn't change and break my configuration. As far as I've been able to determine, the best things to do that gives you a static block is to check the "Enable Routing Advertisements" box, and use a non-anonymous connection to a statically set server (mine would probably be montreal). Is this enough to guarantee a static block?

Views: 566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The client doesn't do DHCPv6.

The static block comes from connecting to the same server and being logged in...RA itself doesn't guarantee you a static block.

You are free to use router advertisements, DHCPv6, random number generation or static config as you chose.  You can even use multiple methods and addresses if you choose.  IIRC, recent Windows versions default to the random number method.  XP uses router advertisements.  Is there some reason you need DHCP?

Heh....need? Not really. To be honest, I'm down with autoconfiguration via advertisements, as long as my block remains static. The DHCP part is more exploratory than anything. A friend of mine works somewhere that's apparently a big M$ shop, so he wants the distribution of IP configuration to remain with DHCP via DHCPv6. Plus, I myself am curious how I can get the two to coexist. I'd like the IP address to be auto-configured, but everything else get pulled from DHCP.

I mean, how do clients get DNS information, for instance? What if I wanted to add a bunch of other information normally distributed via DHCP?

Then you'd need DHCP to do it ;)  Many shops are doing RA for addresses and using DHCP to supply the options (there are far fewer in v6)

Many implementations of RA don't support DNS yet (some do though) so you'll need to DNS statically or via DHCP

Right - so that's my question. How would I do that? Would clients even request information from DHCP servers if they've already been configured by RA?

And based off of what you said, should I assume that clients that connect to the IPv6 tunnel by going through another machine that has the client running do NOT get DNS settings? Since RA doesn't advertise those? I mean, the machine with the client probably does because I'm sure the client sets that manually - but what about clients that the gogoCLIENT advertises to?

You have to set up the machines to ask for DHCPv6.  If you're running Vista or Win7, they'll do RA out of the box and you need to enable DHCP; you can do both at the same time, so the answer to your first question is yes.

You're right..the client doesn't hand out DNS because it's doing RA, and the implementation of RA they're using doesn't support DNS

Of course, for best IPv6 results, use the gogonet DNS @ 2001:5c0:1001::194.  Otherwise you won't be able to get IPv6 addresses for some sites such as google.com or google.ca.

Alright, so RA can't distribute DNS, I'd probably opt to use DHCPv6 for that functionality. I might also disable RA, and do the whole thing using DHCPv6, or some happy medium.

So the other part of the question in my OP had to do with static blocks. I've done a bit of research, even a bit of testing - if I use authentication, and set the client type to "router", and use the server "broker.freenet6.net", is that enough to guarantee a static block so that I don't have to redo DHCPv6 configuration, if I decide to go that route? If not, what else should I do?

@James - I'll be sure to distribute 2001:5c0:1001::194 for DNS. :)
That would work fine.  The server needs to be the same though...I don't know where broker.freenet6.net goes to, but if you always use Montreal or always use Paris, you'll always get the same blocks.

Another thing you can do is use an IPv4 DHCP server to hand out the DNS server, along with other stuff.  This definitely works with a DNS that has an IPv4 address, but can hand out IPv6 addresses.  That's what I do here on my home network.  The DHCP server hands out the IPv4 address for my DNS server (dnsmasq), which runs on my Linux firewall.  That DNS server points to the gogonet DNS as well as serving local addresses from it's /etc/hosts file.  I don't know if there's an IPv4 equivalent address to the gogonet DNS.  Also, you'll want to use a specific server, not broker.freenet6.net, to get a static address.  I use the Montreal server.

Bottom line, I have a static address block via the Montreal server.  I use autoconfiguration for IPv6 addresses and use my IPv4 DHCP server to hand out the DNS IPv4 address, along with the NTP server info.  I run dnsmasq for a DNS server and the local address are contained in /etc/hosts, with the IPv6 addresses listed first, so that IPv6 will be used when possible.

oh, okay. I use broker because the default config recommends that for authenticated connections. Montreal's the closest to me so I'll probably end up using that.

Thanks for the advice, this helps me a ton

RSS

Training

IoT & IPv6 Networking Conference

Product Information

Fill out my online form.

© 2014   Created by gogo6.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service