gogoNET

IPv6 & Networking the Internet of Things

How to configure the gogoCLIENT for Freenet6 Tunnel on Linux

Coming soon.

Views: 5974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After constructing a default build and install into /usr/local all the really interesting bits end up in /usr/local/bin, including both gw6c and gw6c.conf. Without making any changes to the configuration, execution of the gw6c results in the configuration of a tunnel . . .

$ /sbin/ifconfig tun
tun Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet6 addr: 2001:5c0:1000:a::539/128 Scope:Global
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1280 Metric:1
RX packets:17 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:1032 (1.0 KB) TX bytes:608 (608.0 B)

For a static address, you must register with freenet6 (use different credentials from gogonet, they will be stored in clear in gw6c.conf). Register a separate ID for each machine you wish to connect; the ID will become the machine name in DNS.
Make the following changes to gw6c.conf :
  • userid=nodename
  • passwd=password
  • server=authenticated.freenet6.net
  • auth_method=any
Start the tunnel : sudo /usr/local/gw6c/bin/gw6c
Note that gw6c should be terminated with SIGHUP in order to properly teardown the tunnel:
killall -HUP gw6c
For a router on an IPv4 Network, also set e.g.
  • host_type=router
  • if_prefix=eth1 (local network is on eth1)
  • prefixlen=64
and start gw6c. radvd will automatically be started to advertise IPv6 routes on the local network.
Note that if ip6tables is running, e.g. in Fedora Core it may be blocking packet forwarding - check
with ip6tables -L.
I added the following to /usr/local/gw6c/template/linux.sh
       # Tell kernel to forward IPv6 traffic.     
     Exec $sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
+ # allow through ip6tables
+ ip6tables -I FORWARD -s $TSP_PREFIX::/$TSP_PREFIXLEN -j ACCEPT
+ ip6tables -I FORWARD -d $TSP_PREFIX::/$TSP_PREFIXLEN -j ACCEPT
Other machines on the local network should then get a global IPv6 address in the range given
in /usr/local/gw6c/gw6c-rtadvd.conf
sudo /usr/local/gw6c/bin/gw6c Command not found
my gw6c in router mode on linux is generating a rtadvd.conf like this:

##### rtadvd.conf made by Gateway6 Client ####
interface eth0
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
AdvLinkMTU 1280;
prefix 2001:05c0:1509:xxxx::/64
{
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
};
};

but my log says:
Your IPv6 prefix is 2001:05c0:1509:xxxx:0000:0000:0000:0000/56

my question is: is that correct or should it be /56 in the rtadvd.conf as well ? i am new to ipV6 and don´t understand completely.
thanks
Andy
No it should be /64 as it takes one network out of the /56 that you are assigned. The rest can be used if you have a routed infrastructure in your network.
Can you please be more clear about this point?

I have a CentOS client with Freenet6 client correctly installed. Anyway, if I try to configure it as a router, he asks the interface through which start router advertisement. What if I want to assign another /64 to other interfaces? Is that possible? If so, can you please explain how?
This requires manual configuration of the system in order to work. You would have to change the gogoCLIENT setup script. Either you can set it all up using the script or you can disable the radvd section of the client and start the radvd process your self with your own script.
I would prefere the second option. I want to handle the RADV daemon on my own, so I would like the gogoCLIENT only to create the tunnel and give me a /56 prefix. I have read the entire gogoc.conf but the only interesting part is this one:

# Local Host Type:
host_type=router

#
# Prefix Length:
prefixlen=56

#
# Advertisement Interface Prefix:
if_prefix=eth1

If I set the mode to "router" then I cannot leave the if_prefix field blank. At this point, can you explain how to disable the radvd section from the client?

Thanks for your helpfulness!
You will find this in the linux.sh configuration script of the client. It is in the template folder. At the end of the file you will find the radvd config creation and start. Comment out that part and you will be able to run your own radvd. You will have to do this workaround as multiple interfaces aren't supported by default.
Thanks a lot! That did the trick.

RSS

Training

IoT & IPv6 Networking Conference

Product Information

Fill out my online form.

© 2014   Created by gogo6.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service