gogoNET

IPv6 & Networking the Internet of Things

Here's an interesting idea...I got in contact directly with Vonage yesterday, as I subscribe to their service, asking about their current or future plans to support IPv6 for their service.  I did so as I've signed up for Comcast's public IPv6 trials for this year and next.  And I saw that one of their possible tests involves a setup where there may not be a public IPv4 address assigned to any of my equipment.  Now everything I own that HAS to connect to the Internet is dual-stack capable with the exception of my Vonage adapter.

Because of the sad news I received from them in an email stating they don't currently support IPv6 even in a testing form, nor do they have any plans in the near future to support it...this begs the question...For those of us who wish to make use of a nearly IPv6 only network at home, how would DS-Lite or a CGN affect certain services such as an IPv4 only VoIP service that normally requires some fine-tuning of one's router/gateway/firewall to operate correctly?

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't care about loosing a public IPv4 address if I could get native v6 at home.  I would never likely need a printer to be accessible via the Internet (would likely firewall it if it did support v6) and other things like consoles probably would have little problem with DS-Lite or CGN if they require no configuration of my current NAT box.

So does anyone have any insight about how DS-Lite or a CGN would affect something like Vonage, and does SIP support IPv6 and are their any good SIP to PSTN carriers that support IPv6?

Views: 571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did some research on VoIP over v6 (aka VoIPv6) and came out with solutions that can be used now; one is an Asterisk IPv6 version that was ported by Marc Blanchet (from Viagenie and an IPv6 expert), and the other are dual stack SIP clients, and handsets, that come from Snom. More on this at http://www.asteriskv6.org/

Other than this I don't think its a big issue for a Vonage adapter to work on v6 if they have incorporated dual-stack in the adapter, ported the higher layer applications to be v6 friendly, and have v6 ready servers in their backend. SIP as an application layer protocol should be fine with IPv6 if coded properly, i.e. it should not need a major redesign.

VoIPv6 should be a hot topic; for example you can map a public v6 address directly to a phone number. But for some reason it has been getting little attention, even though 4G/LTE mobile networks are undergoing trials right now and VoIPv6 is the only way they will work for voice.
Thank you Ahmed,

I really appreciate the info. I will be looking into it and see what I can do to either prepare myself or see if I can work with Vonage or others like them to see the v6 "light".

I agree with what you say about this topic surprisingly being important overall in the v6 and 4G arena but not being as much of a hot topic as one would think it should be. That is why I posed the question. I was rather surprised at Vonage's response indicating they didn't have any current or future plans to support IPv6, which if what you say is right, shouldn't require much effort on their part to do so. A simple firmware upgrade to my adapter to support dual-stack would suffice (and the necessary support on their backend server systems). But I hope as IPv6 gets more and more popular that these issues will get more exposure and thus potentially addressed.

Thanks again!
DISCLAIMER: I work for a VoIP provider.

The issue is more that Vonage doesn't make your adapter. Last time I checked the adapter they used was produced by Sipura which is now part of Cisco. There are no plans from Cisco to release firmwares that support IPv6 for those adapters.

Thats one of the biggest hurdles we're finding in testing VoIP over IPv6, there are barely any hardware devices that support it.
Thanks for the info Kaos.

I figured as much with regard to them not making the adapter unit itself. But I still say this issue will eventually need to be looked into. Personally its not that bad, I think they could do what Comcast did and have a testbed system setup and take volunteer customers that can sign up to use it and/or create/buy a new adapter to give to their customers that if it detects IPv6 tries using that first then falls back to IPv4 if there are any connectivity issues. I would be more than willing to help test. I'm sure this issue will get more attention as time goes on. As it is literally the only device in my house that requires direct connection to the Internet that doesn't support IPv6 (even if I bought a printer, I'm sure I could find one that supports IPv6 even though I wouldn't exactly want that thing directly on the Internet).
Yeah, I agree. Unfortunately it seems to be common in the VoIP industry to have little consideration for IPv6. We've been testing it on our production platforms, but almost none of our peering vendors or customers have any support for it yet so its unfortunately been largely academic for us.
It is surprising to see such small interest for IPv6 from the VoIP providers as it could make life so much easier for them. This is definitely a service that would benefit from IPv6 as NAT is a big hassle for them.
DS-lite might make it worse in the fact that you will have limited possibilities to tweak and current auto-configuration mechanisms like UPnP won't work. If it is a well behaved VoIP service that works well with NAT today it will be fine with DS-lite as well, as it more or less is a NAT that you have no or little control over.

RSS

Training

IoT & IPv6 Networking Conference

Product Information

Fill out my online form.

© 2014   Created by gogo6.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service